First organized in 1839, First Baptist Church met and worshipped in a school house until the summer of 1848, at which time James K. Hamilton donated one acre of land on which a new church was built. During the early 1850’s the building was destroyed by fire, and a new building was erected in 1857.
In February 1909, the congregation voted to build a new church building. The Financial Committee undertook to raise, by subscription, the sum of $15,000. God blessed, the people gave and the funds were raised. Plans were drawn, and at a cost of approximately $25,000.00 the new building became a reality. The corner stone was laid on August 14, 1910, and the finished building was dedicated on May 8, 1913, with Dr. George W. Truett preaching the dedicatory sermon. The church family worshipped and ministered in this building for almost 50 years.
Then on January 27, 1961 a disastrous fire completely destroyed the sanctuary along with most of the records. Without a sanctuary, Mr. W.F. Ruffin quickly offered the Ruffin Theatre for Sunday morning services. On April 15, 1961 Rev. Henry G. West came as pastor to a church family living out II Corinthians 4:8-9: “We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.” Under the leadership of the Lord and with the encouragement of this new pastor, the church started a program to rebuild. Construction on a new facility began that same year with an estimated cost of $340,000. The completed building was formally dedicated on March 13, 1963.
In 1999 Reverend Keith Brickell became pastor. During his tenure, the Long Range Planning Committee voted to purchase a seventy-acre tract of land on the edge of the city limits. An architectural firm was employed to prepare a master plan for the relocation of the church, and a contract was awarded for the construction of Phase I of the relocation process. The completed Family Life Center was dedicated on April 27, 2003, and presentaly houses our Preschool day program, youth ministries, church fellowships and other ministries of the church.
On March 21, 2010, we welcomed our new Pastor, Bro. Chuck Williams.